Good Morning and Happy Meatless Monday! Today’s interview features Laurie of Phoenix, Arizona. Scroll down after the interview for a quick veggie news update!
Laurie and Olivia
1. Name and Age: Laurie, 32
2. Who do you live with? My husband, daughter, sister, brother-in-law and 2 doggies.
3. How do your friends and family affect what you eat? I always enjoy trying new things, especially if they are fun and easy to make during the week.
4. How would you describe your diet? I’m a breakfast, lunch, and dinner gal. Usually granola and almond milk for breakfast (in the car on the way to work. Practical? Not so much, but it does save time!)
5. Has raising a child changed the way you think about food? Definitely. I think more about what’s going into her little body. When she just started on solids I used Super Baby Food to make most of her stuff. It was fun and I’d definitely recommend the book (and making your own baby food) to anyone!
6. What is one of your strongest food memories? We grew up in Western NY and had COLD winters. I can remember my mom’s stew, eating it with our family at the table over biscuits with a fire burning in the back ground. Nothing fancy, but lots of great memories.
7. What advice do you have for people wanting to eat more veggie meals? Do what your gut tells you to, literally. I started out being grossed out by shrimp, then fish, then meat. It just kind of phased out of my diet and was replace with veggie recipes.
Recipe from Laurie: Zucchini, Corn and Potato Tacos
1 medium potato cut into 1/2 in. cubes
2 medium carrots, chopped
12 taco shells
1 tbs. olive oil
1 clove garlic, minced
1 small zucchini cut into thin bite-size strips
1 cup fresh corn or frozen whole kernel corn
1 tbs chili powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. black pepper
8 oz. firm tofu cut into 1/2 in cubes
1 c. shredded cheddar and/or Monterey Jack Cheese
1: In a covered medicum saucepan, cook the potato and carrots in a small amount of boiling water for 7-8 min or just until tender; drain and set aside. If desired, heat taco shells according to package directions.
2. Meanwhile, in a large skillet heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Add zucchini and corn; cook and stir for 3 minutes. Add chili powder, salt, and pepper, cook and stir for 1 minute more. Gently stir in the potato mixture and tofu, heat through.
3. To serve, fill the taco shells with vegetable mixture. Sprinkle with cheddar and/or Monterey Jack cheese.
Meatless Monday goes Industrial
This is huge!! Food supplier Sodexo will be rolling out its Meatless Monday initiative nationwide starting this spring! 900 hospital clients currently have access to this option, and it will soon be offered to Sodexo’s school, corporate, and government accounts!
Hot Trend: Flexitarian
USA Today named the Flexitarian Diet as one of the top marketing trends of 2011. According to the article, 47% of Americans want to decrease their meat consumption.